Try something new with this recipe for Eastern Promise; an aromatic soup full of interesting flavours and nutritious ingredients.
Click here to download this recipe in PDF format.
- 200g Yellow Split Peas
- 1 Onion (peeled & chopped)
- 1 Stick Celery (washed & chopped)
- 1 Clove Garlic (peeled & chopped)
- 1/4 Tsp Chili Powder (more if you like it hot)
- 2 Tsp Ground Ginger or 2″ Fresh (grated)
- 1/4 Tsp Cinnamon and 1/4 Tsp Ground Cardamom or Mixed Spice
- 2 Dried Apricots (finely chopped)
- 1.5 Litres Boiling Water
- 3 Tbsp Sunflower Oil
- Soak the peas overnight or for 6 hours in cold water. (If you don’t have time, cover with water and microwave for 15 minutes, then rinse well.)
- Heat the oil in a large pan, then fry the onion, garlic and celery for about 5 minutes.
- Add the ginger and chili, and stir. After a few moments, add the spices and stir for 30 seconds. (Be careful, these burn easily!)
- Add water and stir, before adding the spilt peas and chopped apricots.
- Stir again, put the lid on, and simmer for 45 minutes, stirring occasionally. Check every so often and add more water if required.
- Blend, serve and enjoy!